How Can We Help?

Get a Free Consultation (401) 861-1155

Rhode Island Conditional Hardship License

Conditional Hardship License Rhode Island

Am I Eligible for a Rhode Island Conditional Hardship License?

We all know that when you get a DUI, there is a lot going through your mind. For most people, the biggest concern is how with your newly lost license you are going to get to work. Fortunately, if you act quickly enough, you can apply for a Rhode Island Hardship License. A Hardship License is only available if you refused the breathalyzer for the first time or if this is your first or second offense DUI. It is important to know that Hardship Licenses are only to be used to drive back and forth to work. If you decide to apply for a hardship license, you must have an ignition interlock device installed on your car. It is important to note that you are not guaranteed a hardship license if you apply. A judge or magistrate must grant it.

How to applying for a Rhode Island Hardship License

When you decide you want to apply for the Conditional Hardship License, you must show information and must testify to your employment. You must also provide the following information.

  • Employers Name
  • Your jobs address
  • Employment History
  • An outline of what you do at work
  • A complete work schedule
  • What time you travel to and from work
  • How far your commute is
  • A report of any other sources of income you had

Provided you have successfully compiled these documents and have gone to your trial the judge will make their decision on whether or not you get to have a Conditional Hardship License. Having an experienced Rhode Island DUI Attorney can greatly increase your success rate in this process. If you cannot provide these documents, you should contact your Rhode Island DUI attorney to see if they can assist you.

After Your Request Is Granted

Once your request has been approved you have to go to the Rhode Island DMV and provide the following information.

  • A copy of your court order approving your hardship license
  • Proof that you have installed an ignition interlock device
  • Information showing proof that you have SR-22 insurance

The next step to obtaining your Conditional Hardship License is to pay a $100 fee as well as surrender your normal license. After the DMV has received all of the necessary proof and payments, you will receive a temporary license, and you will receive a new license in the mail. The new license you have will have two new restrictions. The first is “Y” that denotes that it is a hardship license. The second is “U” which denotes that you have an ignition interlock device. Your Conditional Hardship License is only available for your use 12 hours a day which you denote so that you can only use it to travel back and forth to work. It is important that once you receive your Conditional Hardship License that you notify your employer of the hours that you are available to drive so that you do not violate your hours.

Once your period of Hardship License is over you must return to the DMV so you can have your normal license reinstated. While the “Y” will be removed from your license, the “U” will still be on your license if you still are required to use your interlock device. The best course of action to get a Conditional Hardship License is to contact an experienced Rhode Island DUI Attorney. The Law Office of Hardship License RI Attorney Joshua Macktaz, has helped hundreds of DUI victims to get a Conditional Hardship License. If you need representation or guidance through this process, contact our office today at (401) 861-1155 for a FREE consultation.

phone Request your free case evaluation today! (401)861-1155


200+ reviews
five star ratings on Google

Josh is committed to following through with his clients and ensuring they are happy. He is not only thorough but he is very responsive and cares. I appreciated his help and he adequately explained the process.
Aly Starr
02:27 25 Feb 19
My Experience with Josh representing me was beyond what I could have hoped for. Josh explained his thoughts and exceptions on my case & followed through to receive the best outcome.. Cannot thank you enough Josh!
Troy McGann
13:12 15 Jan 19
I highly recommend the services of Josh Macktaz. He was responsive, efficient and very realistic about my case and the associated penalties. My legal costs were exactly as he suggested on our first call (which were fair). He is very knowledgeable of the Rhode Island law and has very strong contacts at the traffic tribunal. Related, he handled minor hearings without me which saved me money and travel time. He did the best possible job for a guy in my situation. Anyone that has a drunk driving charge in RI that does not consider Josh Macktaz is risking their future and wasting their dollars.
Chad M
23:10 13 Jan 19
My experience with Josh was beyond positive. If I could rate higher than five stars I would. Through out my entire process he was professional, straightforward, knowledgeable and understanding. It did not take long after meeting him I knew I needed him to represent me. Although my road was long Josh stuck with me every step of the way. There is no doubt in my mind without him I would not have been able to get the best possible outcome in my case. For that my family and I are forever grateful to him. He truly is a master of his craft and a fighter through and through. If you need representation look no further " This is the Man you want In your corner."
Daniel James
14:08 22 Dec 18
I hired Joshua Mactaz to represent me. He did an amazing job. He is very knowledgeable, hard worker and will do anything for you. I would recommend him to anyone and I would certainly have him represent me again.
Susan DeFedele
06:41 14 Dec 18
We always dealt with Josh Macktaz directly. He walked us through every step of the process and answered all our questions. His representation for us in the court room was handled professionally and we are extremely happy with the outcome.
Cheryl DeFeo
00:24 14 Dec 18
Amazing lawyer. Josh explained every step to resolving my issue and got me the best possible outcome for my case. He is very to the point and will fight to defend his clients in their toughest times. If you find yourself in trouble in Rhode Island, there is no one I would recommend more than Josh!
James McKeown
04:46 06 Oct 18
Prior to contacting Joshua I was a mess. He put me at ease during my free consultation and I decided he was the right person to represent me on the spot. He delivered on everything he said he would.
Anthony Mayer
19:38 14 Sep 18
Joshua was great he dealt with my case with effectivness and in a very timely manner. He call me when he was telling me that he was going 2 change or do something that would benefit my case I appreciate the professionalism he gave and showed I would highly recommend using his services
Chris Baccelli
19:59 12 Sep 18
After meeting with several lawyers I chose Mr. Macktaz to represent me. His professionalism and positive attitude helped ease the stress of a difficult situation. Josh provided a detailed timeline of the court process and was clear on what my expectations should be. He was prompt in returning my calls and answered any questions or concerns that I had. I would recommend Josh to anyone in need of representation as he went above and beyond in securing the best possible outcome for my case.
Paul DiLorenzo
04:31 14 Aug 18
With Joshua Macktaz, Professional... he helped in my case and I thank him for his help and I truly recommend him for any case, one of the best in the business
jose carrion
23:23 11 Aug 18
Mr. Macktaz was very professional and helped me with my legal issues swiftly and very effectively. Who knew what to do and every steps to take. Highly recommended, one of the best in the business.
Uodam Sann
15:08 10 Aug 18
I will start off by saying I knew nothing about the criminal or traffic court system until March 2018. I made a choice to have one too many and was arrested (DUI). Dealing with the embarrassment of an arrest and fear of losing my job, I "google searched for a DUI lawyer" and Josh Macktaz name appeared. Although apprehensive about using a a Google Review to determine my future, I made the call. This is my experience... 1) Mr. Macktaz made time to meet me the day I outreached him. (free consultation)2) During our initial meeting Macktaz outlined in detail what I had ahead of me; including court dates and car insurance details.3) Mr. Macktaz was at every court appearance and explained what was going to happen in court and the potential outcome.4) He was confident in what the outcome would be... and he was right!In closing... would I retain Mr. Macktaz if I ever needed criminal representation again? Yes, he would be my first phone call. He continually follows up with his clients. I never felt the need to outreach Mr. Macktaz since he called or emailed first!
22:15 03 Jul 18
Professional, experienced and extremely knowledgeable! Josh took the time to answer all my questions, and was always very responsive. He was able to put my mind at ease. He was able to get my charges dismissed and my case expunged. Best Attorney in RI!!!
15:56 09 May 18
Josh was very professional and extremely knowledgeable of my situation. He took the time to meet with me face to face multiple times to gather all the facts so he could develop the best plan possible. After collecting the facts he sat me down and he discussed all the options I had and why certain options may or may not be available in my situation. During this very difficult time, I at least felt comfortable that I received the best possible outcome and Josh is the reason why. A true professional through and through.
Neal Manaskie
19:28 23 Apr 18
For someone who is totally new to the court system Josh took the time to sit and explain options,situations and solutions before he even a dollar was given. He made you feel protected within the court system, and I would recommend him to anyone looking for good help. He was a total down to earth and knowledgeable person someone you'd want on your side. Any help or questions I had were solved within hours by email and he kept connected with me throughout the whole process. Me and my whole family are greatful for the help! Thanks Josh !
Dylan Nunez
02:54 22 Mar 18
Josh is unlike any attorney I've ever had contact with: and I have worked with and for several. Customer service is a key part of the great service he personally delivered. It is with great confidence that I am able to refer him. He brought me the best results possible. He also returned every single phone call. Thanks Josh!
Kathleen Whitmarsh
17:07 13 Mar 18

view all testimonials
  • 25yrs Experienced RI DUI Lawyer
  • BBB
  • DUI Lawyer Reviews
  • Avvo Top DUI Attorney
  • Distinguished DUI lawyer

Complete the Form Below For Immediate Assistance

Get a Free Consulation With Rhode Island Attorney Joshua Macktaz (401)861-1155