Top College Bars in Providence Rhode Island
Apr, 14 2017 - By: S. Joshua Macktaz, Esq.
There are four college campuses located in Providence. This means that there are a lot of college students looking for the top college bars in Providence. The best college bar may depend on your taste and location. Depending on whether you want to dance, eat good food, or just sit in the corner of a dive bar a drink we’ve got you covered. The list is sorted by their proximity to their respective Universities. After all, you don’t want to rack up too high of an Uber bill trying to have a fun night out.
Top College Bars Near Brown University
- Viva: Viva is a restaurant by day serving traditional American fare during the day. On the weekends it turns into a hotspot for dancing and drinking. Friday nights are “Lingerie Night” need I say more? If you’re looking for a spot to get drinks and dance to local DJs with friends, this is the spot for you.
- Whiskey Republic: The Whiskey Republic offers something a little different for the college crowd. On Wednesday night they offer trivia. Friday’s are highlighted by acoustic guitar performances. Saturday night the bar turns into a club with great local DJs and dancing until late.
- Graduate Center Bar: Graduate Center Bar is a member-only bar. Brown and Rhode Island School of Design students get in free with their student ID. Anyone not with a student must become a member. With great drink specials and an excellent atmosphere, this bar is sure to please.
Top College Bars Near Providence College
- Old’s Bar: Old’s is your traditional dive bar. This is the place to be if you’re looking for a place to sit, relax and have a cheap drink, this spot is for you.
- McPhail’s: McPhail’s is another one of the top college bars in Providence. At McPhail’s the pool and popcorn are always free, how can you beat that? With live bands, DJs, and televised sporting events on their projection TV, you’re sure to find a night you’ll love here.
- The Abbey: Are you looking for great food to go with your drinks? Then The Abbey may be the right place for you. With the famed burger and wing nights, you’re sure to leave full and happy.
- The Spot Underground: Looking for a place to catch live, local music? The Spot Underground offers just that. They also have an open mic night where anyone can showcase their talents.
Top College Bars in Providence Near Johnson & Wales
- The Brass Monkey: This spot is owned and operated by two recent JWU grads and located right down the street. With TVs on every wall, it’s a great place to watch your favorite sports team. They offer an extensive menu, trivia, and food and drink specials nightly.
- Ultra the Nightclub: Looking for a place to go dance and drink with friends? This is the place for you. With events Thursday through Saturday it’s sure to get you in the groove.
- The Dean Hotel: Let’s face it Johnson and Wales produces a lot of foodies. These people want excellent food to go along with their adult beverages. With a German-inspired menu and a good selection of beers on tap, this place hits just the right spot. They also offer The Boombox which is Providence’s first and only karaoke lounge.
Top College Bars Near Rhode Island College
- Tantric Nightclub: This nightclub offers a variety of music. With drink specials and a huge dance floor, it may be the place for you.
Top College Bars Near Rhode Island School of Design
- Wild Colonial: The Wild Colonial has been ranked the best bar in Providence four times. It was also on Esquire Magazine’s list of the fifty best bars in America. Given it’s proximity to RISD, it is a popular watering hole for students. With nightly drink and food specials, this place is a hit.
- Trinity Brewhouse: This place brews delicious beer, and they have the awards to prove it. They have a rotating selection of their beers on tap as well as one of the best burgers in Providence. If you are looking for the laid back atmosphere of a brewhouse, then Trinity Brewhouse is for you.
What’s Right for You?
This is by no means a complete list. These are just the top bars and nightclubs that we love. If you are searching for “college bars near me” online remember that it’s all about taste. This list offers a little something for everyone. From those that want a high-class meal and wine to those that want to dance the night away on a huge dance floor. One thing is for sure; Providence has enough bars and nightclubs to entertain all of the college students that attend school there. Whatever bar you chose make sure you follow the most important rule and drink responsibly. Don’t get behind the wheel drunk and end up in need of a DUI attorney.