Rhode Island Criminal Defense Lawyer S. Joshua Macktaz, Esq.

Does Rhode Island Require an Ignition Interlock Device?

Jul, 05 2020 - By: S. Joshua Macktaz, Esq.
DUI Attorney

An ignition interlock device is a small piece of technology installed onto a car that requires the driver to prove that he or she is sober before the car can be started. This device is mandated by the court to keep known drunk drivers off of the road.

If you have recently been charged with a DUI in Rhode Island, you are probably worried about having an ignition interlock device installed on your car. Rely on a local DUI attorney for accurate information about DUI laws and penalties.


You will only have an ignition interlock device installed on your car if your license is suspended. You can end up with a suspended license for any DUI offense, but the more egregious the offense is, the longer your suspension will be.

Once your license is suspended, you can apply for a hardship license that permits you to drive to work, school, and a select few other places. But to be granted the license you must consent to have an ignition interlock device installed on your car. A DUI attorney can help you apply for a hardship license, but even the best ones cannot help you avoid the device requirement.


Many people are disturbed to learn that they have to pay out of their own pockets to have an ignition interlock device installed on their vehicle. Again, this is an issue that you can’t fight even with the help of a DUI attorney. You will need to pay separate fees for both installation and monthly maintenance. You will also need to pay to have your license and registration reinstated once your suspension is up. Rely on your DUI attorney to help you plan and budget for the full cost of a DUI.


When you have an ignition interlock device installed on your car, you will have to blow into a special tube to gain access to your ignition. If your blood alcohol level is above a programmed level, you cannot start the car. A record is also kept of every time you start the car and your BAC at the time. So even if you are not locked out, there is a record of whether you’re drinking and driving.

Contact DUI Attorney S. Joshua Macktaz

Having a great DUI attorney in your corner is the only way to fight for your rights and freedoms following a DUI. Contact DUI attorney S. Joshua Macktaz at 401-861-1155 today.

Complete the Form Below For Immediate Assistance